THE NEWS OF RIMAP'S DEMISE IS PREMATURE
The news of the recent procedure to stop RIMAP's plans to conduct the Newport Harbor research in 2019 does not include RIMAP's response. We will not discuss those details until the legal process is complete. Meanwhile, RIMAP is proceeding with our regular membership business, including 2019 fieldwork plans.
Below is the full schedule. Qualified RIMAP volunteers should copy, print, and fill this out and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact us if you want a paper copy.
2019 RIMAP FIELDWORK SCHEDULE
- All volunteers must be 2019 RIMAP members and have completed our Intro class. Our advanced classes are recommended, but not required.
- All volunteers must fill out the medical form. New volunteers please contact us at email@example.com for the form. Then fill it out, and bring it with you. Experienced RIMAP members will update their forms already on file.
- All volunteers must sign the Liability Release Form and the Non-Disclosure Statement.
- Teamwork is stronger if participation can be for a whole session. If you can only be with us for fewer days than scheduled, then please let us know so we can plan around your absence.
- Please sign up at least 3 days prior to any session, and earlier if possible. Confirmation of your slot will be by email. Last minute requests will be considered on a case by case basis.
- We usually know 2 days before a session if there will be enough volunteers to make it work. If not, you will be notified at that time. Sometimes sessions are cancelled at the last minute due to weather.
- All sessions start at least by 9 a.m. and usually go until about 4-5 p.m. Please plan to be there for the whole day.
- Bring your own lunch and non-alcoholic beverages, and any necessary personal gear.
- Some of the projects are non-diving and therefore are open to any qualified RIMAP volunteer.
- There are usually non-diving team support tasks for the diving sessions, too; ask about those if you would like volunteer for a particular session.
- All fieldwork will be in Rhode Island, and specific locations are determined by current conditions and research needs.
- RIMAP provides all field gear and administrative support.
- All divers must be properly certified and experienced.
- DAN insurance is recommended.
- All divers must complete a RIMAP check-out dive (see schedule).
- All divers must provide their own equipment in good working order
- This year we need volunteers to participate as docents during the Newport Harbor fieldwork in August-September, to meet the public and work with the conservator as artifacts are retrieved from the site and undergo their first documentation.
- There are also many tasks at the new RIMAP facility at the Herreshoff Museum and those are scheduled as time allows. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
The 2019 Fieldwork Schedule: Location, start times, and other details will be sent with confirmation.
Note: In general about half of the schedule that RIMAP posts every year doesn't mature due to weather or other unpredictable circumstances..
_____ Saturday June 29 - Monitoring sites in Newport (may also be a check-out dive)
_____ Sunday July 7 - Monitoring sites in Newport (may also be a check-out dive)
_____ Saturday-Sunday, July 13-14 - New project in Newport (may also be a check-out dive)
_____ Saturday-Sunday, July 20-21 - New project in Newport (may also be a check-out dive)
_____ Saturday-Wednesday, July 27-31 - Non-diving at Warwick's Gaspee Point ^
_____ Saturday-Sunday, August 3-4 - Location TBA
_____ Saturday-Sunday, August 10-11 - Location TBA
_____ Thursday-Sunday, August 22-25 - Newport Transport Study (Prep work) *
_____ Monday-Friday, August 26-30 - Newport Transport Study *
_____ Tuesday-Friday, September 3-6 - Newport Transport Study *
_____ Saturday-Sunday, September 7-8 - Newport Transport Study *
_____ Monday-Tuesday, September 9-10 - Newport Transport Study *
_____ Wednesday-Friday, September 11-13 - Newport Transport Study (Weather days, site close-out and media event?) *
^ The Gaspee Point project usually finishes in a couple of days, but this year we also need to plan the a publication of the Greene Island study.
* Depends on securing a permit from the RI Historical Preservation and Heritage Commission.
Please fill out and return by email to email@example.com. See you soon!